If you have arthritis in your hands, then you know how difficult it can be to open a can of soup. The last thing you want to do is fumble around with a manual can opener. By the end of this Zyliss can opener review we will give you several incredible alternatives that will allow you to open cans effortlessly.
And you don't have to waste precious counter space with a big clunky electric machine either. These little hands-free openers are about the size of a computer mouse. They run on batteries and they super easy to use.
When you're done with it just throw in any kitchen drawer. No fuss, no muss!
Now before we get to the Zyliss can opener review, let's go over a few important features that you should pay attention to before you buy.
How to Choose the Best Can Opener
While you're looking for the best electric can opener, there are a few things that you should pay attention to.
Stainless steel blades
All of the openers that we looked at in our Zyliss can opener review have stainless steel blades. This is ideal because stainless steel is strong and rust-resistant. Stainless steel is also very durable.
Size can be a problem with a lot of can openers. Big clunky openers can take up a lot of space on the counter. If counter space is an issue for you, then you may want to check out the small hands-free openers.
The Zyliss EasiCan is small enough that you can throw it in any kitchen drawer when it's not in use.
Easy to clean
The beauty of the side-cutting openers like the Zyliss EasiCan is that the wheels never come into contact with the food. That means that the blades stay clean.
All of the openers that we looked at in our Zyliss can opener review are super easy to clean. You shouldn't run any of them underwater. But all of them can be cleaned by simply wiping with a damp cloth.
You also want your can opener to be sturdy and durable.
Companies like Zyliss designed these automatic hands-free openers to be effortless to use. Don't ever settle for an opener that won't properly latch on to the cans. You also don't want it to slip off mid-cut. The ideal gadget will open the can perfectly every time.
Other Things You Should Know Before Buying
Here are some other things that you should think about before buying.
Top cut or side cut?
Can openers either cut the can from the top or the side. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
Top-cutting openers are usually more durable than side-cutting openers. If you like to use the lid to drain liquid, as you would with tuna, then you will want a top-cutting opener.
The downside to top-cutting openers is that the cutting edge comes in contact with the food. This means that you have to wash it after every use. Another disadvantage to top-cutting openers is that they don't usually have a magnet that holds the lid.
That means that you will have to remove the lid from inside of the can, which can lead to cut fingers.
The main advantage of a side cutter is safety. Side cutters create a smoother edge when they open, so you don't have to worry about cutting your fingers. Another big plus to side cutters is that you can reseal the can and use the lid for storage.
All of the openers that we looked at in our Zyliss can opener review are side-cutting openers.
Are there safety features?
If you have kids in the house or if you're buying a can opener for the elderly, then safety should be a consideration. The side-cutting openers that we looked at in our Zyliss can opener review are the safest that you can get because they create no sharp edges.
How's your grip strength?
If you suffer from arthritis, or any other condition that affects your grip strength, then the last thing you want to worry about is using a manual can opener. The hands-free automatic can openers are ideal if you have arthritis. They are super easy to use, and they require no hand strength at all.
The Zyliss Can Opener Review
Say goodbye to your old manual can opener, and forget about the big clunky electric openers too!
In this Zyliss can opener review we found that the EasiCan can opener is a very handy little gadget. If you have arthritis in your hands you are going to love this hands-free can opener. It's super easy to use and requires no wrist or grip strength at all.
We also love that this can opener is nice and small. It can easily fit in any kitchen drawer, and it's ideal for taking on camping trips.
The Zyliss EasiCan automatically opens any size can in just seconds with a simple one-touch start and stop function. And it features strong stainless steel blades.
Another nice feature of the Zyliss EasiCan is that it opens from the side of the can without leaving any sharp edges. It's also hygienic because the lid will never fall into your food.
You can easily clean the Zyliss EasiCan with just a quick wipe with a damp cloth.
The Zyliss EasiCan runs on two AA batteries, which you have to purchase separately.
Zyliss stands by their can opener too. If you're not fully satisfied, Zyliss offers a two-year warranty.
- One touch to automatically open cans in seconds.
- Zero sharp edges as this opener cuts from the side of the can below the rim.
- All sized cans are suitable for this can opener
- Battery operated requiring AA batteries (Batteries not included)
The vast majority of people love this little gadget, especially because it's so easy to use. One of the complaints about it is that there is a slight learning curve in how to use the can opener. Make sure that you read the manual before trying to open a can. Some people also complained that the can opener is kind of loud.
How Does the Zyliss Can Opener Stack up to the Competition?
In this Zyliss can opener review we also took a look at three of the top competitors to get a sense of comparison.
Kitchen Mama One Touch Can Opener
- 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗲𝗹𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝗼𝗽𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗿 𝘆𝗼𝘂'𝗹𝗹 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱: The Kitchen Mama automatic can opener is the best hands-free solution for you! 4 AA batteries make it work like a charm! **Batteries not included**
- 𝗦𝗮𝗳𝗲𝘁𝘆 𝗱𝗲𝘀𝗶𝗴𝗻: The blade cuts along the side of the lid without touching food inside. Leaving no sharp cuts. -- SUPER SAFE!
- 𝗢𝗻𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗽𝘀 𝘁𝗼 𝗼𝗽𝗲𝗻 𝗮𝗻𝘆 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝘀 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗲𝗹𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝗼𝗽𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗿. Push the button to turn it on. It cuts cans 360° along the lid. 𝘼𝙪𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙝𝙪𝙩 𝙤𝙛𝙛. Free up your time to do more things in the kitchen!-- EASY!
- 𝗨𝘀𝗲𝗿 𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱𝗹𝘆, 𝗲𝗿𝗴𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗺𝗶𝗰 𝗱𝗲𝘀𝗶𝗴𝗻: A great help for people with challenges gripping, best friend for elderly suffering from arthritis problem.
- 𝗦𝗮𝘁𝗶𝘀𝗳𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗴𝘂𝗮𝗿𝗮𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗱: 1-Year Warranty. Feel free to let us know if there is any way we can make you a happier customer!
Kitchen Mama makes a hands-free electric can opener similar to the Zyliss opener. One of the differences between the two is that the Kitchen Mama stops automatically when it’s done opening the can. You have to push a button on the Zyliss opener to make it stop.
Another thing that we noticed about the Kitchen Mama opener is that it cuts from the side and leaves no sharp edges.
This opener is nice and small like the Zyliss, so you easily throw it in a drawer when you’re finished with it.
Like the Zyliss, the Kitchen Mama opener will also open all sized cans.
When it comes to batteries, you will have to invest in a lot of them for this little gadget. It requires four AA batteries, which you have to purchase separately.
The Kitchen Mama opener is the most expensive that we looked at in our Zyliss can opener review. But even at the higher price, it still gets pretty solid professional and consumer ratings. Amazon customers rate it 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Most people have good things to say about this can opener. However, some complained that the battery compartment is difficult to open. This could pose a problem for people with arthritis in their hands.
BangRui Electric Can Opener
- The operation is simple: touch one button to enable it to automatically route and open the can lid. You can turn off the switch when the lid is open. It can automatically grab the lid and pick it up, and work on cans of various sizes ( except for edgeless cans and special-shaped cans).
- Innovative technology: With the latest technology, the can opener cuts the inner side of the lid safely, it keeps the can lid with smooth and perfectly sealed edges which allows you to preserve your unfinished can food. The product requires 4 AA batteries to function (batteries are not included).
- Made of durable, safe and solid ABS and alloy steel; wear-resistant accessories; safety grooves and sliding gears help to prevent accidental bruising of your fingers; easy to clean; no need of water for cleaning; stains can be wiped off with clean, damp cloth.
- Comfortable and portable: It is compact and comfortable to use. The product is friendly to both left-handed and right-handed users and seniors with arthritis. It is easy to clean, simply clean it with a clean wet cloth, do not rinse it. It can be conveniently stored it in the kitchen drawer. It is the top choice for your outdoor parties and family kitchen tools.
- BangRui can opener uses special brand package to make it easier to identify, preventing consumers from buying counterfeit and shoddy products.
The next can opener that we looked at in our Zyliss can opener review was by BangRui. Like the other hands-free openers that we looked at, this one is super easy to use. You just push a button to turn it on, and then push the button again to stop it once the can is open.
The BangRui opener will open all standard sized cans, but it is worth noting that there are some cans that this opener can’t open.
This opener uses innovative technology to cut the inner side of the lid safely. And like the Zyliss, it will open the can without creating any sharp edges. One of the things that we liked about this one is that it opens the cans while also creating a perfectly sealed edge which allows you to preserve your unfinished food.
Like all of the openers that we looked at in our Zyliss can opener review, this one runs on batteries. The BungRui opener takes four AA batteries which you have to buy separately. This opener also comes with a one-year warranty.
The size and shape of the BungRui opener are similar to the Zyliss, so it’s super easy to store or bring with you on a camping trip. You can also get this opener in three different color options: green, purple, and red.
The BungRui opener costs the same as the Zyliss opener. But it doesn’t get as high of marks. The professional and consumer reviews for this opener are about average. Amazon customers rate it 3.8 out of 5 stars.
A lot of people love this little gadget, especially because it is so easy to use. It certainly gets the job done. One of the complaints about it is that it moves very slowly. Others complained that it doesn’t come with an automatic shut off feature.
W-Dragon Electric Can Opener
- 【Convenient to Use and Dependable】Effortlessly open cans of any size by pressing of the gray button and stop by pressing once more. Perfect for seniors and the people with Arthritis
- 【Smooth Edge】Innovative side-cutting system removes the top of any can and creates a resealable smooth edge lid
- 【Easy to Clean】Wipe with a damp cloth to clean, please note that Do Not Rinse The Battery Part
- 【Power By】2×AA batteries (not included)
- 【Size】Measures approximately 6×2×1.4 inches. Small in size and Light in weight
The final device that we looked at in our Zyliss can opener review is by W-Dragon. The W-Dragon opener is another small hands-free opener that is ideal for people with arthritis in their hands or wrists.
To use the W-Dragon opener, you simply line it up on the can and press the button to start. When it’s finished opening the can you push the button again to shut it off.
Like the Zyliss opener, this one cuts from the side of the can, creating a smooth resealable edge. And like all of the openers that we looked at today, the W-Dragon is super easy to clean. You just wipe it off with a damp cloth, and it’s good to go.
The W-Dragon opener runs on two AA batteries which you have to purchase separately.
Another feature that we liked about the W-Dragon is that it has a magnet on the bottom. So when you lift it off the can it takes the lid with it, keeping it from falling back into your food.
The W-Dragon opener costs the same as the Zyliss opener. When it comes to professional and consumer reviews, you can’t beat the W-Dragon opener. Amazon customers rate it a whopping 4.8 out of 5 stars.
The vast majority of people rave about this opener. But some complained that the battery compartment is difficult to open.
A Final Thought on the Zyliss Can Opener Review
Overall we found many benefits to using the Zyliss can opener. It's super easy to use for people with weak hands or wrists, and it doesn't take up much space. On top of that, it leaves a smooth resealable edge, and the blades never touch your food. The only downside is that it requires batteries which will need to be changed.
We found the Zyliss EasiCan can opener to be a handy little gadget. It works well every time, and it's affordable. We also really liked the Kitchen Mama opener, especially because it has an auto-shutoff feature.
Now we want to hear from you! Let us know in the comments section below what you think about our Zyliss can opener review. And share with our readers if you have any useful tips for using can openers.
Featured Image Source: Amazon.com